Friday, September 10, 2010

be SMART

Fall has arrived. My windows have been open for two days! Gracie can't get enough of the cooler weather and escapes every chance she gets!








We started the summer off with stitches. Why not Fall? Emily's little run in with the gate (the gate won). Different eye. Different direction. 5 stitches. Hooray!

Today I had a meeting with my Principal. We discussed what my SMART goals were going to be for the year.

Specific/strategic
Measurable
Attainable
Results-oriented
Timely

The goal I set in my mind was, "get the kids names in my class right. " I have two sets of cousins this year who look remarkably the same and two boys with almost the same name. In fact, I confused the boys names the first day of school the WHOLE day and neither of them said anything. They just looked at me like I was crazy! Of course I told my Principal a different goal because there is NO WAY I want him to think I don't know the kids in my class. In my defense...I do...They look A LOT alike.....and I am pretty sure my mental capabilities are shot because I have 5 kids...not that I am making excuses or anything...never. I am pretty sure that this answers the Specific part of my goal. I just hope that it is Attainable.


While I was folding laundry tonight (because that is what I do on Friday night, sooo glamorous) I thought about SMART goals I should set at home. This is what I came up with.


1. Remember my own kids names (you know what I mean, LindseyemilytylerelizagracieImeanben.)


2. Take care of my families laundry better. I come from a long line of women who get their whites really white. Every summer my mom would purchase homemade soap while we were in Canada and attack the soles of our socks. You never ever went outside with just socks on. That was like breaking the ultimate rule at our house. It's not so much a white thing as a take pride and take care of what I have thing. Clothes don't have to be so expendable. What I have taken from my moms white white socks rule is the lazy mans way out. Chuck them. Buy a new package when I have to go up north, then they are always white. Rinse and repeat. As we speak I have several white items soaking in buckets of BIZ on top of my washer. Go me! That was Attainable and Measureable.

3. Be more patient for the Timely things to happen. They will. I just have to be patient.
4. Finally, cancel dish network (really this time) Does anyone else out there think that the Disney Channel has turned into MTV for children? I will miss Phineas and Ferb. The rest can just GO AWAY. I am pretty sure that this is Specific and I will see immediate Results.
And this my friends makes me SMART!
Inspire me...what are your SMART goals? Give me ideas!










6 comments:

  1. Love Phineas and Ferb!! But definitely agree the rest is MTV for kids, blah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your goals Andrea! Wish we were closer so I could learn more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately I've been thinking that I need to set some goals that are for ME..not just for school. After reading your blog I might finally be motivated to do it! (Also, cute pictures of Gracie standing and walking. I've never seen her do that yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goals.... That sounds like a good idea! Lately they have been to make it to the end of each day! I need to build upon this though! :) It sounds like you are doing wonderful things. Poor Em at least she has a smile on her face. And holy cow look at all of Gracie's hair... she is growing up so fast.We missed you at the family reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goal: Do what Andrea does.
    Attainable: Sure...Step one; throw dingy socks away and buy new ones. Step two; buy Biz. Step 3; Lie to my boss. Step 4; visit Andrea soon.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrea!
    I miss you guys! I hope to see you at the reunion! I got some wonderful bags of peaches that my roommate said some cute kids dropped off... If that was you THANK YOU! They were wonderful I had to freeze most because I got my tonsils out two days later :( I'm on week 4 of being out of work and Im going crazy, so I am looking forward to seeing all my favorite preemies next week! Loves J

    ReplyDelete