Wednesday, February 3, 2010

March of Dimes Ambassador Family for Washington County

On April 19, 2009 our baby girl was delivered by emergency c-section. Born at 26 weeks gestation she weighed only 2 pounds. Her head fit perfectly into the palm of my hand. Her arm was so tiny my husbands wedding ring fit clear up to her shoulder. Her skin was transparent and every breath was a struggle. I was in awe that anything so tiny could live outside the womb.

When she was one day old my husband got to hold her for the first time. This experience started the journey for our family. Her growth and development was foremost on our minds during the 79 days Gracie spent in the NICU. We felt extreme gratitude that we could be with Gracie. The close proximity of the hospital helped our children to bond to their sister. The NICU nurses and doctors provided an environment that our children could share with us. Weekly visits eased their fears about what was happening to Gracie, as well as mom and dad.

As her tiny body grew and developed we were told of the advancement in medical technology and understanding of premature babies. Things that they learned as recently as five years ago was saving our babies eyesight. She was kept warm and comfortable in an incubator we lovingly referred to as her "womb with a view." We made progress in grams, not pounds. Daily rounds reviewed her needs and how to best meet them. Two steps forward, one step back. Slowly she grew until the day she was released to us to care for her at home.

Words can not express how grateful we are that an experience that seemed so daunting could be turned into one of our greatest joys. As a family we bonded and grew right along with Gracie. By sharing the story of our family's journey with you, we share our hope along with the March of Dimes that "some day all babies will be born healthy."



8 comments:

  1. okay, so I am crying now and I am at work! those pictures are amazing!! I can't wait to see more! I love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word! Your family picture is so so beautiful! You look amazing hot mama! I am excited for the March of Dimes, they are lucky to have such a great ambassador family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story! Can you believe how everything has worked out? I admire the way all of you handled this exerience. I'm glad I've been able to hold Gracie lately. What a precious girl. Now I've got to quit crying and let the school kids in... Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so excited that you are the Ambassador Family! You are all amazing! I love the family picture! I know my MIL is really excited to be working with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm crying right now as class is starting. I love your family so much! Good job! YOu did it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures of a beautiful family! You are so amazing and I'm excited you get to do this. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Good luck organizing the March for Babies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a darling family picture!!! It will look great on Grandma Brown's wall :) This post made me cry. I can't help but tear up every time I see those pics of Gracie as a newborn. Such a little miracle. You and your family are such a great example to me of strength, hope, and happiness. You have such beautiful children with two AMAZING people raising them. Love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, my allergies almost started acting up when I read that :-) They are no doubt a miracle. I wish I would have known more as things were going on. I am glad everything is working out, she is defiantly beautiful, as with the rest of your family! Love the Horsleys

    ReplyDelete