Wednesday, October 28, 2009

never underestimate the power of a man, on a bicycle, with no teeth.

Gracies first taste of the cold. I think she finds it a bit shocking!




Last night I ran out of gas. I was on the freeway and barely coasted off the ramp. It was one of those times when I thought, stop for gas before you go. I ignored myself, because I didn't want to take the time. The two minutes it would have taken me to stop turned into a hour. Sometimes I wish I would listen to myself.

I called Ben and he said he would be right there. I sat back and texted a few people I was thinking about. Ben got there with Eliza and Tyler in tow. I had Gracie and Emily with me. Lindsey opted to stay home because she thinks she is so big! He put the gas in, I turned the key and it wouldn't start. I tried to start it over and over. Pretty soon the battery died. Oh no. Ben squeezed his car next to mine and jumped it. Nothing happened. I started to panic, Emily needed to go to the bathroom, Gracie was screaming, it was getting dark, and it was freezing outside. We were just getting ready to call a tow truck when a man rode up on his bicycle.

Let me stop the story and tell you where my mind has been the last few weeks. I have felt completley alone. I know, crazy, when you have five kids. I wonder how I can get the things done that I need too. How I am supposed to take care of the physical and spiritual needs of my family when I can barely take care of myself. I hate H1n1, and how confined it makes me feel to my house. I really feel like I might be at my breaking point. I have been singing the song from The Sound of Music in my head over and over lately except I skip to "when the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad. I simply remember my favorite things. And then I don't feel so bad."and then I say to myself "too bad I can't think of my favorite things." Sad to say, my first thought when the car ran out of gas was "chalk it up to the things that aren't going right." And then the man came. Really he looked like he was homeless or a meth addict. My first though was don't stop. My next thought was, Ben is so nice to even talk to him. He suggested getting the car to coast to a parking lot and he would take a look at it. Seriously, he had rotted teeth and a ratty bicycle. Needless to say I was very skeptical. Why couldn't some higher power send a nice respectable police officer? He pulled out his backpack and just happened to have the tools he needed, just happened to know what to do, and just happened to fix my car. He said that he has a 8 year old and always tries to help people with children. Wow. That was a little smack in the face. Good things do happen. So heres to you Julie Andrews, eat your heart out, a few of my favorite things.

El Sol, the cheese enchiladas ( my mouth is watering)



Eliza saying "seriously mom, I need you to come right now!"



Cold weather



Logan in the fall, it was snowing leaves.



Remembering all the places Ben and I have lived.



Little babies, and cousins.



Thinking of great Christmas presents and having people who can make them for you!



Friends who bring me beautiful red flowers.



Tyler saying "Lindsey be careful with me I am tiny."



Ben Brown


Now I don't feel so bad. Thanks bicycle man for making me remember.

7 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I think he was one of the three Nephites. I love the story and I love your list of favorite things, which also happen to be some of my favorite things:) Thanks for all your help while you were here, you got Sydney to nurse like a champ! :) We can't wait to move closer to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I love the song lyrics under your blog title! Awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a neat story! Did Tyler really tell Lindsey to be careful with him cuz he is tiny? He is so cute!! I miss him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a good story. It changed my attitude so much! I love you so much and am so proud of you! I am so so so sad that you ran out of gas though! you poor poor thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This experience is evidence that the Lord knows you and loves you and has a plan for you. Just hang on! I am home now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not supposed to make me tear up here at work. I love you - it was so good to see you last week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arndrea thank you for sharing this.... I was crying by the end. It's always great to have those reminders that the Lord is mindful of all of our needs and never gives us more than we can handel.:)

    ReplyDelete